YMCA of Greater Dayton
If offered a position, after clearing background checks, candidates will need to apply on the Americorps page, too. See below for that information:
For more information or to apply visit:
This position is available through Americorps VISTA. Selected candidates will receive living allowance, training, and/or education award upon successful completion of service.
1. Living stipend: $675.08 biweekly
2. Education award amount: $1,459
3. Cash award: varies depending on the length of term $276-346
Responsible for assisting in the preparation, recording of food and the education of maintaining a healthy balance lifestyle to children in YMCA programs.
- Maintains nutritional tracking systems
- Plans, develops and implements weekly nutritional lesson plans that fit the children’s needs, interests and developmental levels.
- Increases program participant awareness of health lifestyle factors
- Characterize a positive role model
- Understand the YMCA’s character development program
- Understand the YMCA as a mission and membership driven organization
- Maintains appropriate records
- Assists in food preparation, service and clean up.
- Assists in the entire health and safety of the food service areas and operation.
- Monitors supplies and notifies supervisor when supplies are low.
- Helps unload and store supplies.
- Hand washes and stores equipment according to Health Department Guidelines.
- Follows food preparation and storage procedures according to Health Department Guidelines.
- Assists in all aspects of kitchen and dining area cleanliness, including storage areas and refrigeration units.
- Assists participants with any special dietary needs or requests.
- Provides exemplary service to all participants in the program and responds to their needs in a timely and polite manner.
- Works cooperatively with all staff, vendors, partners, children and parents to best meet the needs of all staff and participants.
- Implements a quality control program that provides all groups with the highest quality of meal service within given cost constraints.
- Constantly assists with attaining the entire program’s goals of cleanliness.
- Provides outstanding food quality and service to our participants and staff.
- Assists in all aspects of safety in food service areas.
- Inspects equipment within food service areas for safety hazards, damage or wear.
- Assist in the timely delivery of day camp meals
- Assists in the pre-transportation inspection of vehicle as outlines in the van/bus log.
- Assists in keeping the van/bus log completed and updated.
- Communicates to Child Care Director any concerns or incidents that may need follow-up.
- Is courteous and gives sincere attention to staff and participants by answering questions and troubleshooting issues.
- Knows and administers the appropriate EAP (emergency action plan) for any situation, including first aid or CPR, work-related employee injuries, etc.
- Completes incident and accident reports as required.
- Upholds guidelines as outlined in the Employee Handbook of the Association.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Protects confidential information regarding program participants, families and staff members.
- Attends designated trainings and staff meetings.
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Child Care Director.
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- At least one (1) year experience in a restaurant, or institutional food-service setting.
- Previous work with children in an education setting preferred.
- Must be able to use kitchen equipment safely and according to manufacturer’s requirements, along with the ability to assess the condition of food.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to teach children and have healthy nutrition knowledge.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain an insurable status through the YMCA of Greater Dayton and its insurance carriers.