Resident Camp Village Leader
Seasonal Employment May 19th- August 2nd
*Room and Board provided during summer camping season as this position is required to live on site. Must be 18 years of age or older *
Responsible for providing leadership during the camp experience for children; ensuring their safety and growth. Also responsible for the physical and emotional safety of children participating in activities.
At the YMCA, We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Assists with management of up to 2 villages
- Assists counselors and directors with child management, de-escalation, and day to day preparation.
- Plans cabin specific and village activities according to camp schedule.
- Communicates camper behavioral issues to directors as needed.
- Communicates effectively with parents during check in and check out or as directed by Summer Camp Director, Equestrian Director, or Family and Teen Director.
- Provides support to cabins on an on-call basis if issues arise during the middle of the night.
- Mentors staff to develop skills and effectively provide a positive camp experience.
- Substitutes as a cabin counselor as needed when absences or emergencies arise.
- Effectively assists in implementation of weekly lesson plans that fit the children’s needs, interests, and developmental levels at camp.
- Work effectively as a team with all Camp Kern Staff
- Learn and teach camp songs around a campfire
- Participate in dining hall set up
- Effectively lead large group activities such as games, campfires, high ropes course, climbing wall, hayrides, canoeing, night hikes, campfire gatherings, and more.
- Ensure safety by firmly and tactfully enforcing all aquatic rules, policies, and guidelines.
- To implement all ACA and Camp Kern rules and regulation.
- Responsible for the welfare and safety of children enrolled in the group and in the program including always maintaining appropriate ratio and supervision with heightened awareness on field trips.
- Effectively communicates verbal and written reports to parents.
- Possesses working knowledge of child abuse and neglect laws and follows proper reporting procedures including confidentiality regarding children and families participating in camp.
- Implement set standards, guidelines, and programs.
- Monitor and maintain accurate records including attendance, absenteeism, transitions, minor disciplines, and incidents for each child in counselors’ group.
- Ensure safety by checking for hazardous conditions and making sure all safety equipment is properly placed and in proper working condition.
- Provide excellence in program service and delivery.
- High school diploma or GED required. 2-year college degree preferred.
- Must be over the age of 18.
- One or more years of related childcare experience required.
- Must know how to actively engage children in activities that will enhance their self-esteem.
- Creativity, initiative, flexibility, eagerness to serve, ability to involve others, strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with guests are necessary.