Lead Swim Team Coach
Responsible for providing quality instructional training / coaching to program participants. Persons in this position must closely adhere to the YMCA of the USA guidelines for competitive coaching and swimming.
At the YMCA, We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Act as the lead coach for a specific senior group (13&up), age group (12&under), or other practice group deemed by the Director or Swim Team Coordinator. This includes but is not limited to design and implement a training plan, supervise swimmers and practices and all on deck activities.
- Approves meet entries for practice group by registration deadlines.
- Enforces team policies such as attendance, behavior, etc.
- Assist Swim Team Director with daily practices and swim meets for “Senior” and “Lower” groups on a regular basis.
- Keep control of behavior of swimmers at all times, and if necessary, communication behavioral issue to parents/guardians.
- Adhere and be on time to all scheduled practices
- Ensures safety by communicating and enforcing any pool rules, policies, and guidelines at participants’ comprehension level.
- Keep accurate records on each swimmer evaluating him/her at the beginning and end of the session.
- Communicate effectively to both children and their parents/ guardians.
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance.
- Must be able to meet the physical and emotional demands of the job including being able to get into the water for training and instruction.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment. Removing any hazardous obstacles and reporting unsafe conditions or equipment to your supervisor.
- Provide an emotionally secure environment for participants.
- Have the aptitude and attitude for coaching all ages and levels of swimming ability.
- Give excellent coaching instructions.
- Promote aquatics and other YMCA programs.
- Communicate to direct supervisor any concerns, needed repairs, or incidents that may need follow-up.
- Communicate any suggestions to improve the aquatics facility.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- 2 – 4 years swim coach experience preferred.
- Certification requirements include CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, and a current Lifeguard certification is recommended but not required.
- Must obtain YMCA Swim Coach Certification and USA Swimming Coach Certification as needed and renew annually.
- American Swim Coached Association Levels 1 – 3 preferred
- Must possess quality knowledge of competitive swimming organizations, strokes, starts, turns, and other related skills. Experience with Team Unify software platform preferred.