Energy Bites – Mixing It Up
By: June Owens
Looking for a heart healthy, protein packed, fiber enriched snack that’s ready to grab and go? What about an out the door in a hurry breakfast or special lunchbox treat for the kiddos, one that is yummy AND good for them? Search no further than these delicious little easy to prepare bites, then start mixing it up with your favorite combinations. I love to prepare them on the weekend in multiple varieties and have them in the refrigerator ready for the week. They are even freezer friendly and will last longer that way, but trust me…that won’t be needed with these tasty poppables!
Always start with these, simply adding them together in a mixing bowl.
- 1 ¼ c oats (quick cook or regular) – You can run these through a food processor to get a finer consistency, if preferred.
- 2 tbs power mix-in (ground flax or chia seeds, your choice)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
Pick your favorites, being sure to include ½ c of a nut butter, ¼ c of a liquid sweetener, plus ½ c of a chunky mix in. Here are a few ideas to get you started but feel free to substitute what you have on hand.)
- Monster Cookie … peanut butter, agave, equal parts M&M’s and mini chocolate chips
- White Chocolate Matcha … peanut butter; honey; white chocolate chips; then include 1 tbsp matcha powder
- Oatmeal Raisin … almond butter; maple syrup, raisins; then include ½ tsp cinnamon
- Sweet & Salty … peanut butter, honey, equal parts chopped pretzels and almonds
- Peanut Butter Cup … peanut butter, corn syrup, mini chocolate chips
- Apple Pie … almond butter, maple syrup, dried apples; then include ½ tsp cinnamon
- Trail Mix … peanut butter, agave, equal parts mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and raisins
- White Chocolate Cranberry … almond butter, honey, equal parts white chocolate chips and dried cranberries
- Nutella … Nutella, agave, equal parts shredded coconut and chopped hazelnuts
- TIP: have a little extra coconut available to roll the bites in after forming.
- After all items have been added, stir well to combine.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator for a least 20 minutes.
- Use a cookie scoop to get a portion of the mix out and shape into a ball. If not forming well, add a little more liquid sweetener or even a teaspoon of water to the mix and try again.
- Refrigerate (up to one week) until ready to enjoy!
Find more nutrition recipes on our Nutrition Page!