Build a skill. Save a life.
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of Greater Dayton Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion, online e-learning, and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the professional Rescuer with AED, Emergency Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
- YMCA Lifeguarding (valid for two years)
- American Safety and Health Institute CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for one year)
- American Safety and Health Institute Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen Administration (valid for two years)
- Must be at least age 16 for YMCA Lifeguard certification
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only then swim 100 yards front crawl
- Swim 250- yards combining Front crawl with head up, Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Breaststroke with head up, and elementary backstroke kick with hands on the chest then perform a feet first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and once under swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint for a distance of approximately 60 feet in the water, and then perform an arm-over-arm surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and pick up an object from the bottom of the pool, surface, tread water for at least 1 minute with legs only, and replace the object back to the bottom of the pool where it was found.
- Immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 minute or 100 compressions; stand and listen to directions from instructor.
To receive Lifeguard Certification a participant must:
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills test
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill test
- Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4-6wks post-course completion.
|Coffman Family YMCA||South YMCA|
|Downtown YMCA||West Carrollton YMCA|
|Fairborn YMCA||Xenia YMCA|
|Kleptz YMCA||Y at the Heights|
|Preble County YMCA||Y-NDC Trotwood|