Responsible for preparing, serving food, and clean up for meals and special events in YMCA Camp Kern’s food service operation under the leadership of the Kitchen Operations Director or Coordinator.
At the YMCA, We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Functions as a general assistant in the camp kitchen for all meals and special events
- Implements menus, which are developed with each type of group and budget in mind.
- Implements a quality control program that provides all groups with the highest quality of meal service within given cost constraints.
- Assists in food preparation, service and clean up within restrictions for minors.
- Assists in the entire health and safety of the food service operation.
- Monitors supplies and notifies supervisor when supplies are low.
- Uses dishwasher or hand washes pots and pans according to Health Department Guidelines.
- Washes and stores dishes according to Health Department Guidelines.
- Assists in all aspects of kitchen and dining hall cleanliness including storage areas .
- Assists in recycling program of the facility.
- Assists participants with any special dietary needs or requests.
- Provides exemplary service to all participants in the facility and respond to their needs in a timely and polite manner.
- Works cooperatively with all program staff, directors, vendors and guests to best meet the needs of all staff and participants.
- Constantly assists with attaining the entire facility’s goals of cleanliness and excellent first impression.
- Provides outstanding food quality and service to our guests.
- Assists in all aspects of safety in food service areas.
- Inspects equipment within food service areas for safety hazards, damage or wear.
- Increases guest awareness of healthy lifestyle factors.
- Communicates to Kitchen Operations Director any concerns or incidents that may need follow-up.
- High school diploma or GED preferred but not required.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Employees under 18 years of age are not permitted to operate, feed, set-up, adjust, repair, or clean any of these machines or their disassembled parts: meat slicers, meat saws, patty forming machines, meat grinders, meat choppers, commercial mixers and certain power-driven bakery machines.
- They may not operate power-driven equipment or load or unload goods to or from trucks or conveyors.
- They may not work in freezers or meat coolers, but they may occasionally enter a freezer momentarily to retrieve items.
- Must possess the desire to work in a camp kitchen.