Day Camp Counselor
Dayton, Kettering, Trotwood
*SEASONAL SUMMER POSITION WEEKENDS OFF DURING THE SUMMER*
Looking to make a difference?
Ready to lead and develop others?
Not afraid to be creative or get a little dirty?
Responsible for delivering both missions by providing a quality day camp experience for children; ensuring their safety and growth in spirit, mind, and body on a daily basis. Day Camp Staff are also responsible for the physical and emotional safety of children participating in aquatic activities.
At the YMCA, We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Effectively implement weekly lesson plans that fit the children’s needs, interests, and developmental levels at camp.
- Actively engage children in activities that will enhance their self-esteem.
- Actively participate in all camp activities with campers.
- Ensure safety by firmly and tactfully enforcing all aquatic rules, policies, and guidelines.
- Responsible for the welfare and safety of children enrolled in the group and in the program including always maintaining appropriate ratio and supervision with the heightened awareness on field trips.
- Effectively communicate verbal and written reports to parents.
- Monitor and maintain accurate records including but not limited to attendance, absenteeism, transitions, minor disciplines, and incidents for each child in the group.
- Characterize a positive role model.
- Understand the YMCA’s character development program.
- Understand all aspects of the day camp position and apply trainings and experiences appropriately.
- Attend all designated trainings and scheduled day camp trainings upon hire (ie. CPR, orientation, Child Abuse Prevention, etc.)
- Adhere to applicable policies and procedures while recognizing the ‘big picture’ when dealing with problems and takes into consideration the effect of actions on all parties involved.
- Demonstrate good time keeping, punctuality, and the ability to stay on schedule.
- Treat all guests, staff, equipment, and facilities with courtesy and respect.
- Attempt new ideas and go above and beyond to create new positive experiences for guests.
- Take the required 5-day rest period during the summer day camp session to rejuvenate.
- Protects confidential information regarding program participants, families, and staff members.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED certificate required. Associates degree in Early Childhood Education or related field from an accredited college or university and/or a Child Development Associate’s certificate (CDA) strongly preferred.
- One or more years of related childcare or summer day camp experience strongly preferred
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and initiative and must display a positive and professional attitude.